Home

History

Map

Parksley Businesses

Handy area phone numbers

Churches

Services

Things to See

Parksley Photo Album

Old Parksley School Memories

Memories of our Town

Our Town Buildings' Family Trees
(who we were 'back in the day')

Guestbook

Area Links
Out of Town
Directory


Contact Us

Things to see in Parksley


Founded in 1988, the Railroad Museum is open year round except Mondays November thru March, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. Hours are from Noon to 4PM, Wednesday through Sunday. Located in the center of Parksley's business district with its unique shops and friendly merchants, the Museum cooperates with the Parksley Volunteer Fire Company in sponsoring the Parksley Spring Festival (1st Saturday in June), and the Festival of lights (Thanksgiving thru New Years), each of which attracts thousands to our town for special days of old-fashioned fun for the whole family.  Tickets may be obtained by calling (757)665-6271, 10AM - 4PM Monday thru Saturday. The admission price is $2.00 per person for a guided tour; children under the age of 12 are free. School groups are welcome.


Eastern Shore Railway Museum Complex Rolling Stock
Click on any of the images below to view a larger version.

The Richmond, Fredericksburg and Richmond Railroad Post Office CarThe Richmond, Fredericksburg and Richmond Railroad Post Office Car was built in the 1920's and donated to the Eastern Shore Railway Museum (ESRM) by the Tidewater Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society (NRHS). It is leased to the Eastern Shore Model Railroad Society to house an operating layout in HO Scale. The exhibit is open to the public during Festivals and events or by appointment.

The Seaboard Air Line # 8011 Diner is a 1947 stainless steel car built for the Seaboard Air Line Railroad and later used by Amtrak on its Washington, D.C./Miami route. The car was staffed with a crew of seven; all meals, including baked goods, were prepared on charcoal stove/grill/steam heated stove. Seating capacity was 48 diners. The car was purchased by the Museum in 2000 and will be converted into a restaurant.

The Wabash Caboose donated to the museum in 1988 by the Norfolk Southern Corporation. It is currently undergoing restoration.

The Nickel Plate Caboose was built in 1962. It was donated to the Eastern Shore Model Railroad Society by the Norfolk Southern Corporation. It is being used for storage and as a workshop.

The Fairfax River was built for the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad in 1950. It was built as 2 drawing room/14 roomette car and traveled between New York City and Miami. It was converted into a Maintenance of Way (MOW) car and used in this manner from 1966 to 1980. The Tidewater Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society purchased the car in 1984. The current owner, John Bates, bought the car in 1994 and is restoring it.

The Diplomat was built by Pullman in 1927. It was a 25-chair parlor/observation car for the Boston to Toronto run. In 1945, it was purchased by the Wabash Railroad and used as the observation car on the Wabash Cannonball, running from St. Louis to Detroit from 1945-55, renamed the city of Danville. The car was retired in 1970 and converted to a Maintenance of Way (MOW) car for the Norfolk and Western Railroad in Indiana. The car remained in service until June 1989 when it was donated to the museum. The car provided living space for eight crew members; provided dining service for twelve per setting and contained provisions for fifty people. It was totally self-sufficient with a ten burner Vulcan gas stove, freezer, refrigerator, steam tables, hot water heater, showers, toilets and a propane fired generator for heat, lighting and air conditioning. Mr. and Mrs. John T. Williams arranged for the donation of the car to the Museum. The car was sold in 1996 to the Delmarva Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. The car is being restored to resemble its original appearance by the Chapter.

The Union Pacific Track Inspection Car was purchased in June 2001 from Mrs. Robert Spanagel.

1913 Wooden Boxcar


Ol' Hitching Post

At the corner of Adelaide Street and Route 316 stands an original hitching post which has stood the test of time.


The Accomack-Northampton Antique Car Museum

The Accomack-Northampton Antique Car Museum is open Noon to 4PM, Wednesday thru Sunday. If you have any items you would like to donate or display in the museum, or if you have any questions or need directions to the museum please contact Frank Russell at (757)665-6161.

Civil War Monument

The text from 3 sides of the monument reads as follows:

Front: "Erected by Harmanson-West Camp Confederate Volunteers in Memory of Their Dead Comrades From Accomack and Northampton Counties."

Left side: "At the Call of Patriotism and Duty, They Encountered the Perils of the Field and Were Faithful Even Unto Death."

Right side: "They Died for the Principles Upon Which All True Republics are Founded."

 


Page and photographs courtesy of Ginger Villanueva
 

Home | History | Map | Services | Parksley Businesses | Churches | Things to See | Guestbook | Area Links
Parksley Photo Album | Old Parksley School Memories | Buildings' Family Trees | Memories | Out of Town Directory | Contact Us
Handy area phone numbers